• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
back into the subject of a unified store on a hybrid device from MS, GoG tried something similar, the image says it all, although it doesn't work quite like that.

BB1loxRz.img

that's very nice stuff! Some companion mods in Skyrim added a new dimension to the game, my favourite is this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2180

She doesn't react like the AI but the mod was huge, and I loved it.

However, you said it yourself talking about sales of the game, it's game changing and would help game sales, but it's not a differentiator for people to prefer a Xbox over Sony or Nintendo offerings.

Sony and Nintendo will be using AI too, I guess.

We will see how Sarah Bond fares. Phil Spencer maybe should abandon the traditional way of thinking 'cos this works for Sony which is established in the console business but not for Xbox. Like DF staff said, maybe even switching to a different hardware provider to differentiate themselves more.
Unless you can't get it elsewhere

You could only get a wii like experience on the wii

You could only get a portable handheld that docked to your tv on the switch

Kinect was only on the xbox

For MS if its the only console with AI powered games it could become a selling feature like those other consoles had

Unless you can't get it elsewhere
sure. Imho Sony and Nintendo are going to focus more on things like better AI for NPCs too.

Kinect was only on the xbox
yes, it could turn out to be an ok gimmick but it was limited in many ways and most people hated it. Xbox needs a unique feature that actually works to enhance the gameplay, not just the graphics.

For MS if its the only console with AI powered games it could become a selling feature like those other consoles had
we shall see what they are going to come up with. I hope it will be a hybrid given that MS is mostly a PC company, and mixing the best of a console and the best of a PC might be a good idea. I mean, I don't dislike consoles, but a hybrid would be a more universal device.

I have a friend whose father never wanted to buy him a console in the 90s, and got him a MSX. His father used to say referring to consoles; "I don't understand having a limited and restricted computer which is only good for gaming". I think like that nowadays, and it's been a few years ever since I dreamt of having a hybrid -though my initial thoughst on it were much more limited than current tech is capable of-.

sure. Imho Sony and Nintendo are going to focus more on things like better AI for NPCs too.

Sure but if they don't have the hardware for it then it will have to wait for new consoles for them. Thats why it can be a good thing to be disruptive. If later this year MS announces a new console for 2025 (remember they announced the xbox one x a year before at the game awards) that has advanced features like AI and Sony just dropped the ps5 pro it will be very difficult for sony to do much. They will be going through with the ps5 pro launch regardless and of course in such a scenario it could be out classed across the board. That would likely give MS a year or two before sony launches a new console and we could get another xbox 360 on our hands
yes, it could turn out to be an ok gimmick but it was limited in many ways and most people hated it. Xbox needs a unique feature that actually works to enhance the gameplay, not just the graphics.

Lots of people loved the kinect 1 and enjoyed it and have found memories. I know a lot of people who would love to have it as an option again
we shall see what they are going to come up with. I hope it will be a hybrid given that MS is mostly a PC company, and mixing the best of a console and the best of a PC might be a good idea. I mean, I don't dislike consoles, but a hybrid would be a more universal device.

I have a friend whose father never wanted to buy him a console in the 90s, and got him a MSX. His father used to say referring to consoles; "I don't understand having a limited and restricted computer which is only good for gaming". I think like that nowadays, and it's been a few years ever since I dreamt of having a hybrid -though my initial thoughst on it were much more limited than current tech is capable of-.
Sure but MS already offers that in a pc. An all in one box is always going to be restrictive because there is only so much you can add at the end of the day and so much you can remove.

Lots of people loved the kinect 1 and enjoyed it and have found memories. I know a lot of people who would love to have it as an option again
it had cool features, I have one at home nowadays, and I've recently seen one in a cyclist app to find the correct posture for cyclist to ride on a bike. You're right in what you say, mind you, but I think that no game was particularly fun, and the thing I liked the most about Kinect is that it was used as a mic in some games so enemies could detect you if you weren't quiet. I used it for that and that was it.

The results didn't make it a differentiator.

What was truly groundbreaking about the Xbox 360 was the fact that it had a new online system in which you could add tons of friends, the gamercards, the fact that it had a built-in microphone, messaging and creating parties with friends, and the achievements.

We usually talk about power+exclusives, but those facts are totally underrated and were what differentiated the X360 from other devices.

Rumor:
According to some rumors, it seems that the next console would actually be a PC....

The main improvement could be the CPU, which is where the current consoles limp a lot and where the main bottleneck is in many current games.

RDNA 7 and Zen 5

while the current is 6 cores but 16 threads

looks credible :yes:
RDNA 7 sounds quite advanced, so... 2027? RDNA 4 this year, RDNA 5 2025, RDNA 6 2026, RDNA 7 2027, unless I am wrong?

They could make it indistinguishable from an actual console to the user, and they could even openly embrace Steam.

It wouldn't matter, 'cos once they buy a "Xbox" it will be a matter of days before they subscribe to gamepass.

whether he's 100% right or not, I hope they consider that, where there is smoke there is fire.

Since X360, MS didn't do anything noteworthy in the console business. It's obvious Don Mattrick got blinded by the success of Kinect and wanted to create the new gimmick which was TV.... 😒 And that was it, ever since. New Xbox, new fail.

There are some interesting ideas MS can explore. First of all, optimised games for a hybrid would be huge.

They should create a seal of quality.

Microsoft could say to Asus, Dell, HP, MSi, etc.: look, we create the software layer to play a PC without friction as if it were a console, without user intervention, and you create the Xboy with some hardware guidelines -be it from AMD, Intel, nVidia or Qualcomm, etc. - that provides a minimum quality that we will ensure is met at the performance level.

This does not mean that they couldn't launch a 100% Xbox console -I wouldn't care though, I don't understand a console, I mean, I don't understand a computer capped just to play games-, and an Xboy that would be the hybrid, when several companies in China smaller than MS have created things like the GPD Win, OneXPlayer, Orange Pi, Aya Neo, etc.

Like in the days of the MSX computers which were Japanese and console-oriented, but they ran under a Microsoft OS.

whether he's 100% right or not, I hope they consider that, where there is smoke there is fire.
Not true. It's quite possible to create smoke without fire; chemical smoke is used in smoke flares and in stage productions. Set off a smoke flare in your house and people will call the fire services to a house that is not on fire and doesn't need them to be there.

Since X360, MS didn't do anything noteworthy in the console business. It's obvious Don Mattrick got blinded by the success of Kinect and wanted to create the new gimmick which was TV.... 😒 And that was it, ever since. New Xbox, new fail.

There are some interesting ideas MS can explore. First of all, optimised games for a hybrid would be huge.

They should create a seal of quality.

Microsoft could say to Asus, Dell, HP, MSi, etc.: look, we create the software layer to play a PC without friction as if it were a console, without user intervention, and you create the Xboy with some hardware guidelines -be it from AMD, Intel, nVidia or Qualcomm, etc. - that provides a minimum quality that we will ensure is met at the performance level.

This does not mean that they couldn't launch a 100% Xbox console -I wouldn't care though, I don't understand a console, I mean, I don't understand a computer capped just to play games-, and an Xboy that would be the hybrid, when several companies in China smaller than MS have created things like the GPD Win, OneXPlayer, Orange Pi, Aya Neo, etc.

Like in the days of the MSX computers which were Japanese and console-oriented, but they ran under a Microsoft OS.
This is interesting. Especially for a handheld.
Rumor:
According to some rumors, it seems that the next console would actually be a PC....

The main improvement could be the CPU, which is where the current consoles limp a lot and where the main bottleneck is in many current games.

hmm, RDNA 7, thought the RDNA roadmap ends at RDNA 4 and they'll be coming up with a new microarchitecture.

This is interesting. Especially for a handheld.

hmm, RDNA 7, thought the RDNA roadmap ends at RDNA 4 and they'll be coming up with a new microarchitecture.
From what has been speculated upon in these forums is that RDNA 5 will be coming in the next year for 2025. Given the cadence that AMD develops and mabufactures it's gpu generations of the next Xbox is RDNA 7 based then I'd expect it to come out 2027 at the earliest. I just don't see that in the cards for a new Xbox. And by then we're likely to have Zen 6 based CPU's out for a while that could be put to use in a high performing APU.

Though opening up Xbox brand and experience to other hardware manufacturers has me enticed. Not sure how they would do it but if it as simple as hitting a button on a controller or mouse/keyboard to switch from Xbox mode to Windows mode I'd be down. Let me get a nice powerful laptop that's an Xbox that's more performance than Series X and I'd buy it.

From what has been speculated upon in these forums is that RDNA 5 will be coming in the next year for 2025. Given the cadence that AMD develops and mabufactures it's gpu generations of the next Xbox is RDNA 7 based then I'd expect it to come out 2027 at the earliest. I just don't see that in the cards for a new Xbox. And by then we're likely to have Zen 6 based CPU's out for a while that could be put to use in a high performing APU.

Though opening up Xbox brand and experience to other hardware manufacturers has me enticed. Not sure how they would do it but if it as simple as hitting a button on a controller or mouse/keyboard to switch from Xbox mode to Windows mode I'd be down. Let me get a nice powerful laptop that's an Xbox that's more performance than Series X and I'd buy it.
Yes, you're correct imho. If they're launching a device in 2027 by then a lot of things will have changed, particularly what processor microarchitectures will be available. Looking at their push to ARM on windows, this could have implications on what kind of CPU the next gen system will have. As well Phil is adamant on some sort of "open" system. The leaked docs show they are still focused on a universal SDK for multiple hw configurations as part of their long term plan. This also has major implications and possibly upsides for PC gamers who'll definitely benefit from this. All this requires great execution which unfortunately hasnt been the strong suit of Phil especially when it comes to delivering high quality AAA titles which leverage this hw. On top of gamepass and "opening up" the Xbox game store they need to maybe get some studios(whether third party or in house) to work on their large amount of IPs. Wolfenstein 3, Quantum Break sequel, Alpha Protocol, Killer Instinct. That way all this great hardware can be put to use.

As ever with any rumour, the discussion is not in the source but in the content. Discuss the feasibility and value in the rumoured hardware or services without caring if it's true or not. We're not here to predict accurately what the moves will be, but to enjoy the discussion of the possibilities.

Games and more games. New hardware isn't needed yet if Hellblade 2 and Gears 6 turn out amazing. MS has an awful lot of studios cranking out content soon.

It's interesting that Ninja Theory was the 1st studio acquired in the big Phil Spencer (Spender) spree and that they are releasing their 1st game about 6 years later. COVID lockdown issues probably accounted for a year of that time.

This likely means that Compulsion (South of Midnight), Playground (Fable), inXile (Clockwork Revolution), Obsidian (Avowed), and Undead Labs (State of Decay 3) aren't that far from releasing. Probably all by 2025.

Obsidian is turning into the Insomniac of Xbox with how many releases they are getting out. Great team so far.

Back to hardware: 2025 at the earliest for a full console I would think. I like MS being behind Sony hardware wise, but not ahead of Sony.

So if Sony is 2020 then 2024 and later 2028, then MS can't wait until 2027 to launch as they will get overshadowed by Sony's PS6. They should turn it around on Sony and go 2025 and 2029.

Just before Sony is putting out the PS5Pro, MS can come along and say "Cool. A year from now we have this even better machine coming out and by the time the devs actually can take advantage of the PS5 Pro our X2 will be out with amazing 3rd party greater than or equal to PS5Pro as well as Fable, Gears 6 etc..." It's enough to satiate hardcore Xbox fans. Now that Sony is fully participating in the destruction of generations it doesn't really matter if MS launches at the same time. It's 2024 and Hellblade 2 is the 1st game on either platform to fully take advantage of the hardware. The 5-year dev cycles have made generations obsolete really.

Games and more games. New hardware isn't needed yet if Hellblade 2 and Gears 6 turn out amazing. MS has an awful lot of studios cranking out content soon.

It's interesting that Ninja Theory was the 1st studio acquired in the big Phil Spencer (Spender) spree and that they are releasing their 1st game about 6 years later. COVID lockdown issues probably accounted for a year of that time.

This likely means that Compulsion (South of Midnight), Playground (Fable), inXile (Clockwork Revolution), Obsidian (Avowed), and Undead Labs (State of Decay 3) aren't that far from releasing. Probably all by 2025.

Obsidian is turning into the Insomniac of Xbox with how many releases they are getting out. Great team so far.

Back to hardware: 2025 at the earliest for a full console I would think. I like MS being behind Sony hardware wise, but not ahead of Sony.

So if Sony is 2020 then 2024 and later 2028, then MS can't wait until 2027 to launch as they will get overshadowed by Sony's PS6. They should turn it around on Sony and go 2025 and 2029.

Just before Sony is putting out the PS5Pro, MS can come along and say "Cool. A year from now we have this even better machine coming out and by the time the devs actually can take advantage of the PS5 Pro our X2 will be out with amazing 3rd party greater than or equal to PS5Pro as well as Fable, Gears 6 etc..." It's enough to satiate hardcore Xbox fans. Now that Sony is fully participating in the destruction of generations it doesn't really matter if MS launches at the same time. It's 2024 and Hellblade 2 is the 1st game on either platform to fully take advantage of the hardware. The 5-year dev cycles have made generations obsolete really.
If the new Xbox is released in 2025 (but the same theory holds for 2026), how long will the games be made for the current Series consoles? This is a question because the introduction of a new Xbox requires modern marketing based on, for example, artificial intelligence and extremely powerful hardware. Will they do to the Series S/X what they did to the original Xbox because of the Xbox 360?

Since X360, MS didn't do anything noteworthy in the console business.
?
Seriously?
Backwards compatibility
Cross platform play
Launching 2 consoles at the same time
Game Pass
And now gamepass to xcloud.

Are all not noteworthy in an industry that has been using the same strategies repeatedly since the very beginning? All of this occurred under 7 years; without them everyone else has been following the same strategies since Nintendo was released in the 80s.

by now you should come to understand that nothing is going to happen on the hardware scene. The instant everyone left exotic hardware consoles will just be cut down value versions of PC. It’s not hard to figure out where consoles are going when the roadmap of next generation games are being written today and run on more powerful hardware. Scan through our previous predictions of performance for this generation and many of landed that a 2070 feature set and performance is about all we were likely to get. And that’s more or less what we got.

unless MS can offer series X performance at 199; consoles are stuck where they are. The only innovations will be in the services space.

The future battleground of games is delivery, which markets can access your titles, the cost, and procurement. There’s nothing special about this, but console hardware cannot scale to billions of players, the hardware themselves are too specialized to purchased by that many people.

The market will be stuck at 200M and it’s going to shrink. Getting out of hardware is where all platform holders will have to go eventually.

Once console players put that inevitably together you can understand why platform holders are shoring up studios so quickly. The only viable transformation for a console manufacture that can’t sell consoles is to build services with a plethora of internal studios and sell access to those studios.

games will transition to follow the model of HBO, Disney, Amazon, and Netflix.

Back