Sea of Stars [PS, XB, PC, NX]

Sea of Stars [PS, XB, PC, NX]
What's NX stand for?
Was the codename for the Switch, no idea why it was used here. lol

The trailer reminds me of Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger.
Chrono Trigger was always the game brought up as the big influence for this game, and while there definitely are influences from it, like having three characters in combat with some 'combo' abilities unique to each pair of characters, and also its designed 'in environment' encounters, I think the game probably cribs from Super Mario RPG as much or more. There's more interactivity in environmental traversal than in most RPG's, there's the heavily timing-based combat, the progression/level system is basically exactly the same, and it also has a very bare sort of equipment setup and progression.

It's a good game and I think it ticks a lot of boxes, but I also think it fails to excel enough in any particular area outside visuals, that it doesn't feel like a 'more than a sum of its parts' sort of experience that I typically associate with the great JRPG's. At the same time, there are very few areas I could criticize as 'bad'. It's very solid all round, and enjoyable if you understand you're getting a fairly old school JRPG. But I'd warn against buying into all the 9/10 and 10/10 reviews it got.

Back