View Full Version : Next value card in 1-2 months?
First off I've got a 700 athlon with a GF2 and im a gamer, yes it sucks bad :cry: I plan on upgrading over the next two months and as of right now I would probably get the 9500 but how are things looking in the next couple months? Will the RV350 possibly be out around that time frame? Will the 9700 drop in price and become the next bargain card or get phased out? I know no ones psyhic so speculation is welcome.
As you can tell by my current specs I upgrade about once every blue moon:) I need a card that will last for a couple years and like I said it will probably be a couple months ($100-$200 price range), what cards should I keep my eye on?
The best answer is (though a cop out) is: wait until you are ready to buy, and then ask the same question. ;)
Having said that: there are no guarantees whether ANY card will last you 2 years. ;) In the next 2 months, considering your price range, cards that will probably be worthy of your consideration:
1) Radeon 9500 / Pro
2) Radeon 9700 Non-Pro
3) Radeon RV350 Variant (Radeon 9600?)
4) nVidia NV31 Variant
Right now, the Radeon 9700 pro can be had for about $220, at least in the U.S. In 2 months time, it might fall to about $200. By the latest rumors, NV350 boards and NV31 boards should be launched in the next few weeks. Whether or not they will be available for purchase in the next 2 months is another question though.
Again, you'll really need to repeat the question in 2 months!
Get the Radeon 9700 and don't look back.
If you still have a GF2 I guarantee any card you buy will last you two years. But in that case I suggest buying top of the line or near (R9700 not pro). If you buy a budget card R9500 Pro, you should expect to upgrade yearly, IMO. Actually it all depends on what your tolerance is.
I've upgraded my processor 3 times since I had a 700 MHz, so I kind of doubt you're in the same bracket of expectation. (900 MHz, 1.4 GHz, 2100+, all overclocked speeds of course) :shock:
thanks for the replys. I know alot can happen in 2 months so i'll definetley be picking your brains again when the time comes :) I think I would definetly be happy with a 9700 if thats what I end up getting. I've been wanting to upgrade for so long but I keep putting it off due to the new tech comeing out and lack of funds. I think i've finally had enough and its time to save up :D
I'm really in the same boat, a budget gamer, wife , 2kids, mortgage ect.
I've just upgraded my system to cel 1.7, asusP4 s533, onboard c media sound[not bad really], 512 megs of 333mz ram. Still using my old voodoo 4, so the video card is the next in line to upgrade.
Up here in Canada video cards are expensive. I'm waiting to see what creative does with the P 9 3d labs chip. This is a very advanced chip and if slip stream is fully working it could be a great bargain. Looks like 2 or 3 months from now things could be very interesting in the video card market.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.