PDA

View Full Version : PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info

Pages : [1] 2 3

one
15-Mar-2006, 07:00
It has begun, so let's add new info officially announced by SCE to this thread...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

PR from SCEE:
15/03/2006
PLAYSTATION®3 Launches Worldwide in Early November 2006 (http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4152&NewsAreaID=2)
15/03/2006
PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) Continues to Evolve Expanding the World of Portable Entertainment With New Peripherals, Features and Services (http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/detail.asp?ReleaseID=4151&NewsAreaID=2)

15/03/2006
Comment from David Reeves, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe on the announcement of PLAYSTATION 3 launch (http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/detail.asp?ReleaseID=4153&NewsAreaID=2)
"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas. This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a nutshell,

+ 100 million PS2 sold / 1 billion games sold
+ New PSP peripherals and memstick boot
+ PS3 WW launch in November
+ PS3 supports full HD, full BD, and next-gen HDMI
+ Full PS2/PS1 BC
+ HDD is "required" - The 60GB HDD has Linux installed
+ The basic service in PS3 network is free
+ All games are released on BD-ROM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Famitsu streaming

The PS3 part of Kutaragi's speech (http://www.famitsu.com/sp/060315_psbreefing/060315_sce_ps3.asx)

The PSP part of Kutaragi's speech (http://www.famitsu.com/sp/060315_psbreefing/060315_sce_psp.asx)

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 07:02
Sounds good to me, but assuming it comes out in Japanese first, I think you're going to be a one-man-army for a bit One. :)

one
15-Mar-2006, 07:05
Sounds good to me, but assuming it comes out in Japanese first, I think you're going to be a one-man-army for a bit One. :)Well I think all major Western media in their Tokyo branches are at the conference venue for sure! :wink:

rounin
15-Mar-2006, 07:24
I would help but by the time I wake up its all over and one has it translated for you guys :D.

EDIT : just checked gamewatch and nothing yet :D

Megadrive1988
15-Mar-2006, 07:28
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/696/696043/ps-biz-brief-06-kutaragi-promises-clarification-20060314102103271.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment officially kicked off its 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing just moments ago. SCE President Ken Kutaragi took to the stage almost immediately following the press conference's start time and apologized for all the PlayStation 3 speculation that has taken place over the past few months.

"It is my aim," Kutaragi said, "To clear things up about the PlayStation 3 today. The PS2, the PS3, the network, and Future Cell Network will all be addressed."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696043p1.html

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 07:34
wow, an apology from Sony for lack of media? all along I thought it was planned dead silence.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 07:36
keep the news coming :)
F5! ftw

one
15-Mar-2006, 07:39
PSP will get a videophone in Fall :!: and PSP EyeToy will be released.
Hot Shot Golf GPS is also scheduled. Macromedia Flash will be supported in PSP by the next firmware update. Bootup from Memory Stick will be also supported in Fall. PSP games will be on the online download store.

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 07:42
Strong opening statement by Kutaragi - I'm getting psyched over here.

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 07:43
PSP will get a videophone in Fall :!: and PSP EyeToy will be released.
Hot Shot Golf GPS is also scheduled.

Do you know if they said anything about these pluggin into the USB port on the top of the machine? The PSP EyeToy could be really interesting.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 07:46
PSP eyetoy and GPS? Very nice :)

edit - also, memory stick boot support in the Autumn too? About time! :D

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 07:48
He's expected to announce the release dates for the PS3 in all three major territories (our sources indicate October in Japan and November in the U.S.), reveal a bunch of new PS3 titles, and discuss a major new firmware upgrade for the PSP. Stay tuned for more updates in the next few minutes.
http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775
dunno what to say.... O_o.

edit: anybody know how long this briefing is supposed to last?

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 07:51
No PS2 price drop, apparently.

wco81
15-Mar-2006, 07:53
Hmm so he's getting all the preliminary stuff out of the way before the big announcements everyone wants to hear. Kinda like how Steve Jobs does it with his "One more thing" shtick.

Really is the PSP stuff so secret that he would have announced it only to 3rd-parties and not to the media?

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 07:53
edit: anybody know how long this briefing is supposed to last?

I think one of the news stories said an hour, but I think their E3 2005 presentation was also supposed to be an hour, so it could be going on for a while longer.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 07:57
Flash on the PSP. YEEESSSS!!!:grin: Give me more daddy.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 07:58
Really is the PSP stuff so secret that he would have announced it only to 3rd-parties and not to the media?
well we all knew a eyetoy, and gps was in sony's minds for the psp, we just didnt know quite when. i think this is on the same lines as announcing the PStwo at the last brief like this. why do you sound dissapointed? dont get me wrong, i want ps3 news too!

ofcourse, saving the best for last isnt too bad. :)

im happy about the video phone, that should be sweet! i got many friends with psp's across states so ill definately be getting into that.

I think one of the news stories said an hour, but I think their E3 2005 presentation was also supposed to be an hour, so it could be going on for a while longer.
thanks Gremmie.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 07:59
Flash on the PSP. YEEESSSS!!!:grin: Give me more daddy.

According to 1up - "there will be a web browser upgrade shortly, but it still won't have Flash support."?

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:01
PS3 has next-generation HDMI from the beginning.

The release date for PS3 is the first half of November.

The launch is worldwide :!: :!: :!:

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:02
just started a thread on the PSP. So far this isall that is known.

-psone emulator service for the psp
-Macromedia Flash will be included with a spring Network update
-Starting this fall, the PSP will use RSS channel features. Video and voice-over-IP will release in October in "motion jpg" format. The PSP's own version of the EyeToy will launch a month earlier in September and the peripheral will feature EyeToy Play and video chat. The camera is sliver and it attaches to the USB port.
-downloadable games service

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:02
"PSP:
first-gen PS1 official emulator
buy/download games from net"

!!!

Nicked
15-Mar-2006, 08:04
"PSP:
first-gen PS1 official emulator
buy/download games from net"

!!!
Fucking awesome.

PS3 release date...:/ NA?

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 08:05

The launch is worldwide :!: :!:

:lol: oh it should be a fun week on the forums now. :wink:

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:05
The launch is worldwide :!: :!: :!:

Are we sure on this?

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 08:06
/me passes out from news :O
"Fucking Awesome" is right Nicked.

and we havent even hit the juicies on ps3 yet, i want to hear about the network?!

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:07
They manufacture 1 million PS3 per month till the launch, the pace exceeds PS2.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 08:08
holy fuck nuts....
one, got a link man? ign and 1up dont update for shit

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:08
:o ...

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:09
ign is reporting early nov launch world wide!!!! :grin:

Several million units will be produced on a monthly basis up until launch
(=greater number than the PS2 was produced in)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

Full BD support

(*also, read the "million units produced per month" as = will establish a system capable of producing several million units per month up until launch)

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:09
The launch is worldwide :!: :!:

:shock: THANK YOU JESUS!!!:shock:

Nicked
15-Mar-2006, 08:10
Holy crapping manufacturing rate! Worldwide launch!!
Truly fucking amazing if they pull it off :O

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 08:10

I wonder when they'll start manufacturing. I could see them starting in August and building up for a million in each territory. I hope so at least or there are going to be MAJOR shortages.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:11
Holy crapping manufacturing rate!

Damn man I'm on my third pair of boxers.:lol:

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 08:12
/me fucking passes out

edit: all we need now is a price and WE ARE FUCKING SET!

mistan
15-Mar-2006, 08:14
NEXT UP:
Killzone realtime!
lol (sorry had to)

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:14

Once release, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:15
Developers are told that they should develop games with HDD in mind :!: :!: :!: :!:

mistan
How is this possible? so much info in a business meeting
lol, i thought these were suppose to be boring...
Sony can crown themselves king if they can get it all $400 or less
we might see games!!!

Thunder Emperor
Sony hype, I will have to see it to beelive it, I am predicitng now,. There will be huge PS3 shortages. this is sony they hyped spring lunch, we get fall. they say lots of units, we get a little.

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 08:16
edit: all we need now is a price and WE ARE FUCKING SET!

I'm not quite sure why, buy my gut is telling me $299. It would be the perfect capper to this meeting.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:17
Developers are told that they should develop games with HDD in mind :!: :!: :!: :!:

WTF WTF WTF WTF I can't fucking take this shit NO more. *passes out*

one
All games are released on BD-ROM to prevent piracy :!: :!: :!: :!:

Titanio
omg what.

mistan
15-Mar-2006, 08:18
everybody and their mom man...
this is toooooo much

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:18
ign is reporting this also

Develop software for the platform [PS3] with the assumption that a hard drive will be present"

and

All software will be released on the BD format for the purpose of preventing piracy

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 08:20

Wake up Mck... :smile:
"in mind" does not mean that it will be included standard but like MS they are saying "develop for it (or it will not succeed)"

at least they didn't announce it as standard yet.... anything is possible tonight :shock:

mckmas8808
ign is reporting this also

Develop software for the platform [PS3] with the assumption that a hard drive will be present"

I swear to god on my grandmother if Sony f*** with me on this I might cause bodily harm to someone on the streets 3:00 in the freaking morning.

gokickrocks
they just need to release the pricing and schedule of MGS, RE, and SH :D

Alpha_Spartan
15-Mar-2006, 08:21
I call BS on the one million units and the November worldwide launch. It can't be done. It's "Spring 2006" all over again.

Here we go...

Titanio
Wake up Mck... :smile:
"in mind" does not mean that it will be included standard but like MS they are saying "develop for it (or it will not succeed)"

at least they didn't announce it as standard yet.... anything is possible tonight :shock:

This makes more sense.

one
The spec of the PS3 development tool has been fixed today.

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:22
nnot sure about this maybe one you can clear this up.....

*HD "present" as in "available" -- not sure if it will be standard or not (add-on?)

superguy
I love how a huge delay is now "INCREDIBLE GREAT NEWS!!!" All because of the lowered bar set this morning.

Think about it. We're getting the system as late as anybody rationly expected prior to today. Meaning, late fall. How is that great?

Also if Sony includes a HDD, I'm here to tell you they just screwed up bigtime.

But knowing Sony, they'll just change it later and nobody will criticize them for that. Just like nobody criticized them for not including a HDD standard from the start.

Bad_Boy
I'm not quite sure why, buy my gut is telling me $299. It would be the perfect capper to this meeting.
i would shoot sparks out of my dick if they announce a 299 price.
/me gets the med kit just in case :D

Kolgar
15-Mar-2006, 08:23
Now THIS was worth staying up for!

Show us THE GAMES!

Next gen (and my PSP) just got a whole lot more interesting!

P.S. Now I hear rumors of a $349 price point? *faints*

superguy
15-Mar-2006, 08:24
I call BS on the one million units and the November worldwide launch. It can't be done. It's "Spring 2006" all over again.

Here we go...

Me too.

Remember 500,000 PS2's for all North America?

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:25
Impress has an article
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/scei1.htm

The launch is global, PS3 will launche in Japan, Asia, US, Canada, and EU all at once

Nicked
I love how a huge delay is now "INCREDIBLE GREAT NEWS!!!" All because of the lowered bar set this morning.

Think about it. We're getting the system as late as anybody rationly expected prior to today. Meaning, late fall. How is that great?

But knowing Sony, they'll just change it later and nobody will criticize them for that. Just like nobody criticized them for not including a HDD standard from the start.
Ahaha, they just owned about 1 million journalists and ******s.

A delay that we all knew is coming is so worth it. And such damned supply is unprecedented.
A standard HDD makes it the most complete system. EVER.

The PSP news is fucking fantastic.

Its all good from my position.

superguy
I love all this hype, and they haven't shown or stated anything exciting or announced or shown one game

I dont really mind, just funny how these types of events for any company build a lot of short term hype

Alpha_Spartan
And Spring 2006...

People's memories are short when it comes to Sony. This whole November worldwide launch thing is just another Spring 2006 and NO ONE seems to be just a tiny bit skeptical. Sony does it again...

Titanio
Again, HDD is not necessarily standard. "develop for it (or it will not succeed)"

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:26
The network for PS3 is free of charge for the basic service :!: :!: :!: :!:

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:26
PS Biz Brief '06: High-Def PS2 and PSOne Games
Legacy titles to be displayed in high-definition.

Sony today announced that not only is the PlayStation 3 to be 100% backwards compatible, but all legacy titles played on the system will be displayed at high-definition resolutions. The Xbox 360 currently does the same thing and the result on that end is much sharper image quality for older games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696055p1.html

also

Basic online service will be free; will begin same time as PS3 release date

typoEDR
15-Mar-2006, 08:27
If they do it properly, they'll be brilliant. We'll see.

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 08:27
Yo, Alpha and Xbot, save it for another thread. ;)

We've been waiting a long time for this info - let the celebration take place and the questions can be addressed when we're all hung over tomorrow. ;)

What's the point in trying to stick your finger in a dam that's breaking?

Andy
15-Mar-2006, 08:28

It is great news, particularly if you live anywhere but Japan. When were you expecting PS3 to come out in your territory? Here (Australia) I was expecting Christmas at the earliest but more likely March 2007. A worldwide release (praying that Australia and New Zealand are considered part of the world) is awesome in my book, and also a good boost for Blu-ray.

I'm curious to know, why would including an HDD in PS2 be "screwed up bigtime"? That makes no sense!

Titanio
 PS3のスペックについては、2.5インチの60GバイトHDDやLinux OSを搭載することを明らかにした。また、PS3用のゲームはすべてBD-ROMとし、全世界で月間1000万枚のBD-ROMを生産できる体制を整えるとした。

http://japan.cnet.com/news/tech/story/0,2000047674,20098591,00.htm

??!!

typoEDR
God, I'm actually shaking because I'm so excited. Maybe it's because I finished my proposal.

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 08:30
Looks like MS sets the trend again.

Course when MS does it they're stupid when Sony does it a year later they're brilliant :smile:

If Sony pulls it off with plenty of units, unlike the X360 launch, then it will be brilliant. I always thought launching globally is a great idea, but MS just had very poor execution. The ball is now in Sony's court to see if they can do it right.

Alpha_Spartan
Looks like MS sets the trend again.

Course when MS does it they're stupid when Sony does it a year later they're brilliant :smile:
QFT.

Watch all of the "worldwide launch is stupid" naysayers now praise Sony for doing it.

superguy
God, I'm actually shaking because I'm so excited. Maybe it's because I finished my proposal.

Imagine if something actually happens! :lol:

On supply, 90nm should have a lot more time..it's entirely possible to produce more I suppose. Basically they have more time (theoretically).

wco81
15-Mar-2006, 08:31
Hey I got nothing against the Euro guys here.

But I'd rather that they make sure we get ours first here.:twisted:

one
15-Mar-2006, 08:32
 PS3のスペックについては、2.5インチの60GバイトHDDやLinux OSを搭載することを明らかにした。また、PS3用のゲームはすべてBD-ROMとし、全世界で月間1000万枚のBD-ROMを生産できる体制を整えるとした。

??!!It sounds 60GB HDD is standard, with Linux!! :grin:

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:32
QFT.

Watch all of the "worldwide launch is stupid" naysayers now praise Sony for doing it.

Well it'd be a slightly different situation if they managed to get anywhere near 6m units out in 06..

superguy
15-Mar-2006, 08:33
QFT.

Hell, in 24 hours they'll probably have " invented it" :lol:

Carl B
While we're on the subject of the hard drive - since it was raised - unless somethign turns up today indicating otherwise, like many have always said, I would expect a compulsory bundle a la the PSP 'value pack' that includes an HDD rather than the HDD actually being a requirement to the PS3's operation. I guess we'll see what happens, but truly making it an integral part of the base system really would be a serious albatross hanging over future cost reductions.

Nicked
QFT.

Crying bitter ****** tears?

6M units at launch is NOT stupid.

1.5M in 2 months IS.

Sorry if Sony can do it in a way that is actually not stupid. But please, keep trying to shit on this with pathetic damage control.

Sct I/On
Babelfish to rescue:

Concerning the specifications of PS3, it made that 60G byte HDD of 2.5 inches and Linux OS are loaded clear. In addition, we assumed that the game for PS3 makes BD-ROM entirely, arranges the system which can produce month 1000 ten thousand BD-ROM in the entire world.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:34
Again, HDD is not necessarily standard. "develop for it (or it will not succeed)"

Look I know this my sound stupid, but what does "develop for it (or it will not succeed)" mean?

Megadrive1988
15-Mar-2006, 08:34
any word on final specs of PS3 Tool ?

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 08:35
Babelfish to rescue:

Concerning the specifications of PS3, it made that 60G byte HDD of 2.5 inches and Linux OS are loaded clear. In addition, we assumed that the game for PS3 makes BD-ROM entirely, arranges the system which can produce month 1000 ten thousand BD-ROM in the entire world.

Typical Babelfsh rescue! :cool:

typoEDR
I am wondering about the bootable memory stick thing. Is this going to be a path to legitimate homebrew or perhaps just downloadable game demos?

Titanio
Look I know this my sound stupid, but what does "develop for it (or it will not succeed)" mean?

It might mean if you don't develop games to take advantage, our optional HDD won't sell :p

I don't know though.

If Linux is comign on every HDD, optional or not, then YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I am wondering about the bootable memory stick thing. Is this going to be a path to legitimate homebrew or perhaps just downloadable game demos?

PSone emulator was announced with downloadable games!!

superguy
It sounds 60GB HDD is standard, with Linux!! :grin:

I reitirate: This is not good at all for Sony if true. Blu-Ray ON TOP of a HDD?

I guess RSX might be coming in pretty cheap with that super small G71 die. Still..

Trust me, I know videogames much more than you guys.

I dont believe it though, and if true Sony will change it at some future point. Maybe claim a "misunderstanding" (aka MS I suppose).

Alpha_Spartan
15-Mar-2006, 08:36

1.5M in 2 months IS.

Sorry if Sony can do it in a way that is actually not stupid. But please, keep trying to shit on this with pathetic damage control.
We'll see. We'll see.

I find it odd that I'm the only one that's just a tad bit skeptical.

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 08:37
IGn is reporting

As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696056p1.html

Seems like the PS3 will be a location free station.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:37
I don't think the HDD situation is clear yet. Wait for confirmation. But if Linux is included with every one, optional or not, then I'm a very very happy chappy indeed! :D :D

Nicked
15-Mar-2006, 08:38
We'll see. We'll see.

I find it odd that I'm the only one that's just a tad bit skeptical.
I'm skeptical a bit of them actually meeting these goals, but these goals are truly untouchable in terms of awesomeness.

superguy
15-Mar-2006, 08:39
IGN:

March 14, 2006 - Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

Once released, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

They are pretty clear about that..now lets see if they do it.

typoEDR

Video... games? :?:

Tap In
It sounds 60GB HDD is standard, with Linux!! :grin:

whoa! :shock::grin:

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:41
IGn is reporting

As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere.

Seems like the PS3 will be a location free station.

OKAY the PS3 has got to be over $600 now. Maybe Merill Lynch was right. :/

Titanio
Final dev kits in June. Gamespy making contribution to network service. Basic version of network service will be free.

fulcizombie

1.5M in 2 months IS.

I bet you are one of the kids that believed the "spring 2006" date also eh???

Let's wait and see if...
1)The ps3 DOES ACTUALLY launch worldwide(things can change a lot until November)
2)Just how many units Sony will have ready for the launch.

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 08:42
Where the hell where you on Xbox 360 no Hard drive day? Shit!

I was saying MS made the right move, that's where I was. ;)

PS - If the HDD truly is required for PS3... well bold. I wonder if they think flash densities will allow them to go that route in an inexpensive fashion come PSThree? Seems very aggressive, but I wonder what it'll mean for long term cost reductions.

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 08:44

??!!
My translation:

Concerning PS3 specs it was made clear that a 2,5 inch 60 GB HDD and LInux OS will be mounted (better: included). The Games for PS3 (use) will be Blu-Ray only and an organization structure, able to produce 10 million BDROMS in the months to the world (launch), will be set up.

wco81
Final dev kits in June. Gamespy making contribution to network service. Basic version of network service will be free.

Basic version better at least include online play. No lame lobotomized setup like XBL Silver.

If they try to charge for online play, then screw them.:evil:

Titanio
Online:

"the system will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat, commerce features that includes bootable software via the hard drive.

The service was created with the help of Sony Online Entertainment. Best of all, the "basic" service will be free of charge."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696059p1.html

superguy
15-Mar-2006, 08:45
but I wonder what it'll mean for long term cost reductions

It'll be bad. Very, very bad.

Thunder Emperor
15-Mar-2006, 08:46
My translation:

Concerning PS3 specs it was made clear that a 2,5 inch 60 GB HDD and LInux OS will be mounted (better: included). The Games for PS3 (use) will be Blu-Ray only and an organization structure, able to produce 10 million BDROMS in the months to the world (launch), will be set up.

ok this shit has got to be expensive
i am saying now ps3 450 at lunch

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 08:47
okay still are they saying Linux will be included standard or the HDD will be included standard with Linux?

Also, HDD will be "required"? Are we sure they didn't mean required for online? What does required mean in this instance? Why wouldn't they say "included"

I'm confused, surprised if it includes the HDD .... split skus maybe?

Carl B
It'll be bad. Very, very bad.

I wasn't actually looking for an answer - I know full well what it'll mean. ;)

Now Xbot just chillax a little and let people enjoy the news maelstrom - I don't see why you would expect anything else other than excitment right now, or beyond that why you would want to fight it.

Titanio

I'd expect $500 at least. $450 would be dirt-cheap for this.

edit - can't confirm, but apparently they said that price will NOT be less than 50000 Yen. That's $425. So maybe $450-$500 in the US/Europe.

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 08:49
okay still are they saying Linux will be included standard or the HDD will be included standard with Linux?

Literally they are saying: a 60 GB and LINUX OS will be mounted. So I am guessing this means HDD + LinuxOS is standard.

Gremmie
15-Mar-2006, 08:50

edit - can't confirm, but apparently they said that price will NOT be less than 50000 Yen. That's $425. So maybe $450-$500 in the US/Europe.

I think it still has a shot at $399 to match the X360. Although the inclusion of the HDD makes my $299 gut feeling void.

scooby_dooby
all this is almost too good to be true, 6 million at launch? simultaneous WW launch? 60gb hdd included? I dunno, I think it's right to be a little skeptical. I'd bet dollars to donuts these things change signifigantly in the period leading up to Nov.

Probably just a masterstroke by sony to delay 360 purchasers, basically sending the message that you will be able to buy one this year, and that supply will be so high that you'll be able to get one, in addition we'll bundle in a 60gb hdd and it'll be a location free server...sounds too good to be true.

I will say though, if Sony pulls this off MS is about to get owned big time.

aaaaa00
PS3 is "4D"!

heh heh heh.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696060p1.html

March 14, 2006 - At the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, Ken Kutaragi has just added another infamous quote to his belt, this time stating that PS3 games are "live" and that the PS3 concept is "4D".

He claims that games have gone from 8-bit to 16-bit planes, to the "space" that you saw on the PS1/PS2, and now PS3 will be "live".

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 08:51
Now Xbot just chillax a little and let people enjoy the news maelstrom - I don't see why you would expect anything else other than excitment right now, or beyond that why you would want to fight it.

seriously .... back up and let people enjoy the news.

Plenty of time (til November) to debate the why's and why nots and what they mean. :smile:

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 08:52
IGN is picking over words and saying that while the HDD is required, Kutaragi didn't explicitly say it'd ship with it. But effectively that'd have to mean the same thing..unless there was a constraint on the requirement (such as "required for online play", vs "required, period").

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 08:54
Literally they are saying: a 60 GB and LINUX OS will be mounted. So I am guessing this means HDD + LinuxOS is standard.

a 60 gb AND linux will be included standard? okay, that's pretty clear.

I was just thinking of the translations and the possible, you know getting lost in them. :wink:

For example I was wondering did they say, all of the HDD (even optional ones) will have linux "mounted" on it, or each PS3 will have a HDD mounted on it which includes Linux?

Dr. Nick
15-Mar-2006, 08:55
PS3 is "4D"!

heh heh heh.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696060p1.html
Now I'm not a sony fan but remember the e3 presentation of the spiderman movie mixed with GT4. He could be talking about something like that used in games.

mistan
15-Mar-2006, 08:56
They must either be watching trailers or demonstrations or its over for tonight.

wco81
15-Mar-2006, 08:56
Do the reporters have a chance to ask questions? If not directly to KK, then to other Sony PR people afterwards to clarify these issues?

Yeah it's cryptic. No chance of prices being announced or game lineups this far out.

Too much chance for currency fluctuations and the vagaries of game development.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 08:57

Seriously I think it will be $499.

Carl B
So are we considering the 'Cell network' as having been discussed? Or was that just confusion centering on their Live-like service?

Alpha_Spartan
Where's the game footage? Where's the finished design with specs?

So basically the same company that gave us the initial "Spring 2006" launch date that they NEVER, EVER intended to keep, promises a worldwide launch (which they themselves vehemently denied in the past) in November with 6 million units. I just wanted to get all that down.

Please, don't say stuff to me until November when the damn thing has launched in all three territories. I just don't believe this for one bit. This is another stall tactic by Sony.

Well, from reading GAF, I can say "Mission Accomplished". Kutaragi can now descend into his cave until later this year when he'll come up with another presentation to explain the REAL launch strategy.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 08:59
It maybe me, but isn't that Linux part like really old?

I'm not talking about the HDD coming as standard, because that would be awesome if they pull it off...

one
15-Mar-2006, 09:01
Let's hope some more info at GDC and E3 :wink:

Brimstone
15-Mar-2006, 09:03
My feeling is they'll include the hardrive to reduce load times along with all the other nice benifits of having a HDD standard. The Blu-Ray drive will probably be 1x speed.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:03
It maybe me, but isn't that Linux part like really old?

Kutaragi said they were considering it - this is confirmation!

That alone makes me very happy :grin: I'm still not totally covinced it's standard, though.

edit - according to a journo on GAF, it's not standard. The fog of tokyo announcements!

Kb-Smoker
15-Mar-2006, 09:06
My feeling is they'll include the hardrive to reduce load times along with all the other nice benifits of having a HDD standard. The Blu-Ray drive will probably be 1x speed.
it would have to be at least 1.5x to play blu-ray movies.

Sct I/On
15-Mar-2006, 09:07
They have already announced downloadable content (older games at least) so HDD will be the only storage place for such data. Or 4 GB memory stick pro duos... :D

one
15-Mar-2006, 09:08
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/detail.asp?ReleaseID=4153&NewsAreaID=2

Press Releases

15/03/2006
Comment from David Reeves, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe on the announcement of PLAYSTATION 3 launch;

"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas. This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally”

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:09
Basic version better at least include online play. No lame lobotomized setup like XBL Silver.

If they try to charge for online play, then screw them.:evil:

not sure what much else besides online play could be included in a membership above a Basic?

I'm thinking that they see money on the table with online play and they will make some too. Maybe cheaper price than Live but why else have a "basic membership" if it was all free?

I'm sure when the date is closer, we will see a pricing structure for this.

PARANOiA
15-Mar-2006, 09:12

LOL I'll believe it when I see it ... this will be the first Australian launch that doesn't get screwed over if so. I don't think the X360 has launched here yet :sad:

And kudos to MS for pushing the "worldwide launch". Looks like they've set the trend. All the more reason why competition is a great thing.

one
15-Mar-2006, 09:13
not sure what much else besides online play could be included in a membership above a Basic?

I'm thinking that they see money on the table with online play and they will make some too. Maybe cheaper price than Live but why else have a "basic membership" if it was all free?

I'm sure when the date is closer, we will see a pricing structure for this.
Isn't it said that the Nintendo Revolution WiFi service, also with Gamespy involved, is free for online play? The already do it for free with games on NDS.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:15
Isn't it said that the Nintendo Revolution WiFi service, also with Gamespy involved, is free for online play? The already do it for free with games on NDS.

They'll be different networks though, no doubt. It seems its a SOE/Gamespy thing, and DS hardly utilises everything Gamespy alone could offer. We'll see what happens.

Also, that's it apparently, no games were shown or anything. Not too surprising given that the conference was only opened to the media in the last minutes.

Nicked
15-Mar-2006, 09:15
we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas.
Australia, fuck yeah!

A worldwide launch that is actually WW? Maybe. Slightly less hyped now, so much promise has sprung forth from your posts one, thanks x 1 million.

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:20
I'm not saying that it's not possible but by reading the wording "Basic membership" will be free, I of course assume that there is a pay structure otherwise he would have said "Our Online service will be free".

Going one step further, I just can't imagine what a membership would include besides online play that would be worth paying for.

reading people's meanings and intentions from limited information is a hobby. :razz:

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 09:20
Final dev kits in June.

Where did you see this?

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:21
Where did you see this?

IGN has the article.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 09:25
Couldn't find it, but I did found this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15355

Sony also today confirmed that the final development hardware for PlayStation 3 will roll out in June, which tends to support the claim that manufacturing will also start then, as final development hardware requires almost all of the components of the final consumer hardware to be completed.

Kolgar
15-Mar-2006, 09:26
IGN says HDD standard:

March 14, 2006 - As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral and the unit will ship with the system right out of the box...

Brad Grenz
15-Mar-2006, 09:28
I'm not saying that it's not possible but by reading the wording "Basic membership" will be free, I of course assume that there is a pay structure otherwise he would have said "Our Online service will be free".

Going one step further, I just can't imagine what a membership would include besides online play that would be worth paying for.

reading people's meanings and intentions from limited information is a hobby. :razz:

Well, MMORPGs will probably cost. Might be they are planning a micropayment marketplace thing as well for indie games/music/movies/add-ons which wouldn't be considered "free". Or maybe you have to upgrade to a premium service to access the Sony Connect media anywhere stuff.

thatdude90210
15-Mar-2006, 09:32
So far, it sounds like the harddrive will be required to play games, but is a separate purchase. That's one way to make the price sound lower than it actually is, except for people who will only use it as a BR player.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 09:32
IGN has the article.

Ah! Found it.

So the only thing that's left for E3 is the price.

Nintendo could steal some hardware thunder in May then...

For the big guys it'll mostly be about the games. Interesting.

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:35
Well, will probably cost. Might be they are planning a micropayment marketplace thing as well for indie games/music/movies/add-ons which wouldn't be considered "free". Or maybe you have to upgrade to a premium service to access the Sony Connect media anywhere stuff.

ahh yes
Sony connect and MMORPGs makes sense

I thought of micropayments but it doesn't really have anything to do with a membership. I'm guessing that purchasing access will be included with the Basic membership , like Silver LIVE. They wouldn't want to charge people access just to to sell them stuff. or would they? :razz:

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 09:36
I really can't see the BR specs/security or whatever be the problem. I mean, wasn't final dev tools supposed to be out in december or something. Now they are comming out 6 months later, so all this must have had to do with the hardware it self, which leads to the question, how do they know that they will be abe to produce 1 million consoles a month whne they apparently not until now been able to produce a single one yet...

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:36
So far, it sounds like the harddrive will be required to play games, but is a separate purchase. That's one way to make the price sound lower than it actually is, except for people who will only use it as a BR player.

that could make sense.

it's an interesting strategy.

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 09:37
I really can't see the BR specs/security or whatever be the problem. I mean, wasn't final dev tools supposed to be out in december or something. Now they are comming out 6 months later, so all this must have had to do with the hardware it self, which leads to the question, how do they know that they will be abe to produce 1 million consoles a month whne they apparently not until now been able to produce a single one yet...

RSX is in the present iteration of the dev kits; all that the 'final' versions are missing - to our knowledge - are the Blu-ray drives and whatever Cell and RSX revisions Sony may have seen fit to make pre PS3 launch. But the fabs for the chips are online and churning is the word. Obviously for Cell they have been for quite some time now.

Avon_Implosion
15-Mar-2006, 09:38
damn, a worldwide launch...
I tell you, Sony's a hell of a hard company to read-i never expected this.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 09:38
Hey guys, about the 6M units. Most components won't be a problem I guess. The difficult thing would be the BR drive right?

Are there numbers from other BR manufacturers?

Do you think they can do it? Or will it be the PSP all over again...

superguy
15-Mar-2006, 09:41
I tell you, Sony's a hell of a hard company to read-i never expected this.

Wy wouldn't you have?

Really I expected it. The only other options were a launch in Spring or July in Japan (yeah right) or a delay to 2007 in USA (would have been very damaging.

Something like September Japan November US wouldn't have surprised me, but functionally that's not much different than a simultaneous release.

I guess the one big positive is EU included. It would NOT have surprised me to see that pushed to 2007.

one
15-Mar-2006, 09:42
some pics
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060315/scej.htm
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060315/scej1_02.jpg

Carl B
15-Mar-2006, 09:42
Hey guys, about the 6M units. Most components won't be a problem I guess. The difficult thing would be the BR drive right?

I don't think the BR drive is 'difficult' per se, they just haven't been able to get cracking on it due to this copy protection madness. So I imagine when they're given the green light it should ramp up quite nicely. But of course a million a month is a lofty goal - there's always the chance for PS2/PSP repeats.

Kabbage
15-Mar-2006, 09:43

I heard on another forum that it was lower than 50000 yen

Oh well... I can just wait for an official price.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:44
Just FYI, 6m is the plan for the fiscal year. In calendar terms, that till March 07. Not sure if it's been mentioned..

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:46

Oh well... I can just wait for an official price.

I also read not less than 50,000 yen.

I think Titanio is pretty much on the mark with his numbers.

Tap In
Just FYI, 6m is the plan for the fiscal year. In calendar terms, that till March 07. Not sure if it's been mentioned..

thanks for the clarification

that sounds reasonable.

superguy
Assuming HDD optional not standard, anything MORE than 399 in US would be a disappointment if you ask me.

If you include a HDD standard, then these sky high guesses get more reasonable.

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 09:47

That definitely makes a difference, it is small details like that, that cause so much confusions, still a tough goal, but now I see it doable...

Kabbage
I also read not less than 50,000 yen.

I think Titanio is pretty much on the mark with his numbers.

Eh. I'll Still Be waiting for an official price... my predicition has been 449.99 so that settles nicely into that 50000 yen thing.

Avon_Implosion
Wy wouldn't you have?

Really I expected it. The only other options were a launch in Spring or July in Japan (yeah right) or a delay to 2007 in USA (would have been very damaging.

Something like September Japan November US wouldn't have surprised me, but functionally that's not much different than a simultaneous release.

I guess the one big positive is EU included. It would NOT have surprised me to see that pushed to 2007.

a worldwide launch was the last thing on my mind; with all the issues the PS3 is having to deal with, i thought it would be impossible.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:49
Assuming HDD optional not standard, anything MORE than 399 in US would be a disappointment if you ask me.

If you include a HDD standard, then these sky high guesses get more reasonable.

lol, people have been speculating $500+ for PS3 WITHOUT the HDD.

$399 minus the HDD would be an absolute steal. I think it'll be $449, without the HDD.

Tap In
15-Mar-2006, 09:49
Eh. I'll Still Be waiting for an official price... my predicition has been 449.99 so that settles nicely into that 50000 yen thing.

I'd actually be surprised to hear a price at E3 as it would be to their benefit to see how all of the costs shake out leading up to launch and if it is a higher price than 360, hold off until the last minute and let speculation rule the day.

Lazy8s
15-Mar-2006, 09:50
The amount of systems they can produce might be limited by the supply of RAM they can secure.

fulcizombie
15-Mar-2006, 09:52

So basically the same company that gave us the initial "Spring 2006" launch date that they NEVER, EVER intended to keep, promises a worldwide launch (which they themselves vehemently denied in the past) in November with 6 million units. I just wanted to get all that down.

Please, don't say stuff to me until November when the damn thing has launched in all three territories. I just don't believe this for one bit. This is another stall tactic by Sony.

Well, from reading GAF, I can say "Mission Accomplished". Kutaragi can now descend into his cave until later this year when he'll come up with another presentation to explain the REAL launch strategy.
GAF would be excited with almost anything Sony-related,it's like the official Sony forum...

Oh and now the hard drive it seems won't come with the console(only IGN insists on the opposite) and the 6 million figure is by March 2007.Hehe,i believe that this will turn out just like the killzone trailer that was (according to sony execs at E3) real time....

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 09:53

I was thinking the same thing.

The firm said it would have a million units ready for launch, with a further million a month following soon after. These numbers suggest shortages at launch.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2491&Itemid=2

Kabbage
I'd actually be surprised to hear a price at E3 as it would be to their benefit to see how all of the costs shake out leading up to launch and if it is a higher price than 360, hold off until the last minute and let speculation rule the day.

I went back to the thread where the guy was keeping us updated and he said "About" 50000 so my mistake on the more or less confusion.

pipo
The amount of systems they can produce might be limited by the supply of RAM they can secure.

Why? They could be working on that as we speak...

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 09:54
Oh and now the hard drive it seems won't come with the console(only IGN insists on the opposite) and the 6 million figure is by March 2007.Hehe,i believe that this will turn out just like the killzone trailer that was (according to sony execs at E3) real time....

For God's sake. This is a conference in Tokyo with limited reporting. News filters through, people get wires crossed. Stop acting like it's all a conspiracy. We're only a couple of hours after the event, I'm sure there will be press releases latterly, and in English too.

one
15-Mar-2006, 09:55

Oh well... I can just wait for an official price.According to this Game Watch article they said nothing about the price and allocation to each region, so probably... at E3?
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060315/scej.htm

Cobra101
15-Mar-2006, 09:56
GAF would be excited with almost anything Sony-related,it's like the official Sony forum...

Its really Nintendo-Age.

By far.

Kabbage
15-Mar-2006, 09:57
Why are people so angry about consoles...its not that serious.

So what if people are hypocritical... the world is full of hypocrites.

I for one was doubtful of the Worldwide launch only after hearing MS saying that is was difficult... If sony can pull it off, I say more power to them... instead of throwing negativity at the people who are excited over the news.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 09:58
Why are people so angry about consoles...its not that serious.

So what if people are hypocritical... the world is full of hypocrites.

I for one was doubtful of the Worldwide launch only after hearing MS saying that is was difficult... If sony can pull it off, I say more power to them... instead of throwing negativity at the people who are excited over the news.
qft!

Cobra101
15-Mar-2006, 09:59
I think the max price would be $499 WITH the HDD.

Does anyone here think Sony will sell out over the holidays at that price?

I think they would.

I know I am "in".

one
15-Mar-2006, 10:01
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/03/15/103,1142411429,50052,0,0.html
According to this Famitsu article some people wanted to release PS3 in Japan in July or September but Kutaragi decided the worldwide launch. Besides, he said PS3 should be free from the confusion that there are units with HDD and without HDD.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 10:02
English PR, but just the timing, nothing on HDDs or the like: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060315be.pdf

Urian
15-Mar-2006, 10:07
They can sell the console for 500 USD if they include the HDD with Linux with the console because they can market it like a computer.

rabidrabbit
15-Mar-2006, 10:08
I'm most excited by the PSP news.

The PS3 announcements were a bit thin.

Worldwide launch in early November without a supply shortage would be incredible of course, but somehow, as much as I hate to say this, I'm still traumatized by the PSP "worldwide launch" :D

60GB HDD with Linux. A standard 60GB HDD with linux would be incredible, but somehow, as much as I hate to repeat myself, I'm still traumatized by Microsoft's promises of a standard HDD :D

Free basic online service. That was expected, and the "basic" leaves them enough open doors so we really don't know what the final PS3 online service will be like and what will bee free. I personally think it'll be free other than downloadable media (movies, music, extra game levels and other game related dl content would be free... mostly) and MMORPG's

The PSP announcements on the other hand were worth the wait.
Flash support at best would mean tons of free online games!
The GPS, so it is confirmed it is indeed coming, and with a great game to support it too!!
The camera and "Eye Toy" for PSP - - - What The F*ck??!?!? EyeToy for PSP?????!?!?!?
Did they think this through properly, really, because it just won't work!! Why? I HAVE JUST TWO PAIRS OF HANDS!!!!!!! How am I supposed to play those EyeToy games when my hands are already busy, by rolling my eyes, flapping my ears and flipping my tongue?

The bomb was the PSOne emulator for PSP though.
That is, as they say in America... F*CKING AWESOME!!!!!!

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 10:09
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/03/15/103,1142411429,50052,0,0.html
According to this Famitsu article some people wanted to release PS3 in Japan in July or September but Kutaragi decided the worldwide launch. Besides, he said PS3 should be free from the confusion that there are units with HDD and without HDD.

Can you explain that HDD part again. And maybe this proves that 6 million is possible this CALENDER year.

V3
15-Mar-2006, 10:10
As I see it, the HDD in PS3 is not a standard item, but it will be bundle with every PS3 anyway at least in early stages, much like PSP with memory stick. Perhaps they will release a basic pack down the road, but not at launch.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 10:10
They can sell the console for 500 USD if they include the HDD with Linux with the console because they can market it like a computer.

It doesn't work like that IMHO. There is a sweet spot for these things. Not for us, but for 'normal' people there is... ;)

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 10:11
I think they could sell it for 499 without the HDD, but just my humble opinion. Not indefinitely, but they'd get those 6m out anyway ;)

It's not entirely clear what the story is on the HDD though. Some say the box will ship with it, others not. That it is a "requirement" seems to be consistently reported, though.

I think requiring PS3 games to all be on Blu-ray is interesting too. While publishers may have tried to squeeze their PS3 games on to DVDs to accomodate Xbox360 or for cost reasons, they now may as well take advantage of it (and if true, the same cost as dual-layer DVD is very good indeed).

Also, not sure if it was made clear before, but apparently it will support HDMI 1.3, which makes sense with it now coming in Nov.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 10:13
I'm most excited by the PSP news.

The camera and "Eye Toy" for PSP - - - What The F*ck??!?!? EyeToy for PSP?????!?!?!?
Did they think this through properly, really, because it just won't work!! Why? I HAVE JUST TWO PAIRS OF HANDS!!!!!!!
well I think it will be just voice and video chat. kinda like that one eyetoy game that was supposedly coming out for ps2 that was just for video and voice chat. it did have some simple games like battleship and checkers/chess though.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/681/681449.html

I dont think it will have anything to do with using your body to play games lol. unless you put the psp on a stand on a desk or somthing and act goofy in front of your psp O_o lol

one
15-Mar-2006, 10:16
Can you explain that HDD part again. And maybe this proves that 6 million is possible this CALENDER year.Oh it's clear and simple, they plan all PS3 have HDD. I wrote in the previous page that game developers can develop games for HDD, but according to Famitsu Kutaragi said SCE is developing the PS3 hardware with HDD in mind, which is clear enough I think. Unless something drastic happens, HDD in PS3 is given.

As for 6 million units it's in fiscal year 2006 (March 2007).

rabidrabbit
15-Mar-2006, 10:17
well I think it will be just voice and video chat. kinda like that one eyetoy game that was supposedly coming out for ps2 that was just for video and voice chat. it did have some simple games like battleship and checkers/chess though.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/681/681449.html

I dont think it will have anything to do with using your body to play games lol. unless you put the psp on a stand on a desk or somthing and act goofy in front of your psp O_o lol
Well, they did have images of Eye Toy Play type games attached to their Powerpoint presentation for PSP.
Well, maybe I could hold the PSP with just one hand while playing with Eye Toy.

Yeah, the camera would be also used in video chat, but that was a point of it's own in their presentation.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it would allow for a similar (almost) function to Nintendo's DS. You's use your other hand as an imaginary stylus wawing it in front of the PSP that you are holding with the other hand. It could work like a virtual touchscreen (only less accurate, likely and a bit more awkward as you'd be forced to "draw" on the imaginary "touchscreen" in thin air relatively far from the PSP screen)

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 10:20
Well, they did have images of Eye Toy Play type games attached to their Powerpoint presentation for PSP.
Well, maybe I could hold the PSP with just one hand while playing with Eye Toy.

Yeah, the camera would be also used in video chat, but that was a point of it's own in their presentation.

Guys, PSP discusssion goes here: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29191

Inane_Dork
15-Mar-2006, 10:20
I don't think the BR drive is 'difficult' per se, they just haven't been able to get cracking on it due to this copy protection madness. So I imagine when they're given the green light it should ramp up quite nicely. But of course a million a month is a lofty goal - there's always the chance for PS2/PSP repeats.That's a valid concern, IMO. They could beat the problem, of course. But bleeding-edge optical drives have never been mass produced right away (that I'm aware of). Their yield (if that term applies) need not be great in the past because they were only making thousands of them per month until the tech matured. And they have to iron out drive failures from 1st generation hardware so that they don't get too much negative PR after launch.

In general, I think the news is positive. Sony is going in a good direction, even if that direction is largely copied from Microsoft. Lots of details remain to be clarified, but the day to address those is later. And I have to add that I think it's hilarious how exacting the 'net is about HDD announcements ever since the whole X360 fallout.

one
15-Mar-2006, 10:22
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060315/232551/
According to this article, Kutaragi said PS3 games should be developed with the presupposition that they are installed in HDD.

Farid
15-Mar-2006, 10:23
Please, keep on topic and let's try to make thoughful posts.

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 10:26
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060315/232551/
According to this article, Kutaragi said PS3 games should be developed with the presupposition that they are installed in HDD.

Now what does presupposition mean? :/

rabidrabbit
15-Mar-2006, 10:28
Ok, sorry.
But
Topic: PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info
I thought it includes PSP, and that this thread was to discuss the whole briefing and info given.
;)

Edit: To "cover my tracks" I have a new premonition.
What if the PSP "EyeToy" is at the same time the PS3 wireless HD IP camera?
That there would not be a separate "Eye Toy" camera for PS3, but the PSP + camera would be it?
Makes some sense, does it?

pixelbox
15-Mar-2006, 10:32
i just hope it's not too expensive!:roll: :cry:

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 10:32
Now what does presupposition mean? :/

Main Entry: pre·sup·pose
Pronunciation: "prE-s&-'pOz
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French presupposer, from Medieval Latin praesupponere (perfect indicative praesupposui), from Latin prae- + Medieval Latin supponere to suppose -- more at SUPPOSE
1 : to suppose beforehand
2 : to require as an antecedent in logic or fact

Basically, developers should require their games to install on the hdd.

Anyway, Sony adressed some problems of the past:
1) worldwide launch
Finally, Europe isn'T getting the shaft. However, the simultaneous launch could cause massive supply problems.

2) hdd comes with the box

3) load times reduced due to HD installation
I was already getting worried that the PS3 load times would be attrocious, but now it seems they might actually be acceptable.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 10:35

That's a bit of a stretch..if games can assume the presence of a HDD they might well use it for caching/streaming etc. but not require that they be installed!

I'm still not buying the HDD-in-the-box story though. Inane is correct about pickiness post-360, and I've yet to see an absolutely clear direct quote from anyone at SCE saying "The HDD will ship with every PS3, no split market".

On a different note, Phil Harrison's GDC keynote should actually be interesting now :D

mckmas8808
15-Mar-2006, 10:36
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French presupposer, from Medieval Latin praesupponere (perfect indicative praesupposui), from Latin prae- + Medieval Latin supponere to suppose -- more at SUPPOSE

1) worldwide launch
Finally, Europe isn'T getting the shaft. However, the simultaneous launch could cause massive supply problems.

I was already getting worried that the PS3 load times would be attrocious, but now it seems they might actually be acceptable.

Thanks much I am.

Shifty Geezer
15-Mar-2006, 10:37
Okay, a worldwide launch can fit in with the Spring launch I argue. For all those saying 'they already said Spring and missed it, I won't beleive a word they say', all plans are subject to change. The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglay.

Before you can say 'they missed Spring so we won't Novemeber' you need to know why they missed Spring. If it's a BRD thing, they've been ale to make everything they need except that part. That means between now and launch they can stockpile huge numbers of PS3 as they wait for whatever they are waiting for. Also the Spring launch could have been Japan only, as we all assumed, with US getting later this year, so the shift to a worldwide launch is more a postponement of Japan. Worldwide becomes a new strategy to strengthen the launch folowing an unexpected delay.

The concern with the worldwide launch is that it sounds like 1 million consoles per month after launch, with 1 million at launch. That's spreading things even more thinly than XB360 :shock: . And also makes you wonder what the factories are doing at the moment. Twiddling their thumbs?

Sony have managed to save face somewhat by turning the unwanted delayed launch into a big launch to compensate. Good marketting and business sense. They haven't yet shown the games or examples of the interfaces or Linux etc., but these things wouldn't be expected at a dull old business meeting. The suits get their kicks from Powerpoint presentations, not awesomely rendered FPSes!

In summary, heady goals. Things could go wrong, might well do, but the plans announced are at least what is being aimed at. Some people need to be able to make the distinction between a lie and an unexpected set of circumstances that require a change of plan.

pixelbox
15-Mar-2006, 10:37

1) worldwide launch

The price of the thing could be attrocious.

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 10:38
Anybody know anything about the "dev kit specs fixed"?
what are the new specs? any changes to final specs? /* wishful thinking */

Brad Grenz
15-Mar-2006, 10:38
Thanks much I am.

You should get one of those Firefox extensions to look up words in an online dictionary. Very handy.

Phil
15-Mar-2006, 10:40
Firstly, a big thanks to everyone that contributed to the updates, especially One! *thumbs up*

I think they could sell it for 499 without the HDD, but just my humble opinion. Not indefinitely, but they'd get those 6m out anyway ;)

I'm quite convinced a $499 price would be with the HD, not without - at least taking the timeframe into concideration (late this year), that the unit will be able to move quicker to a more profitable/cheaper 60nm process (because it's launching later than planned) and in reference to what Microsoft is selling their Xbox360 at, or will be. Selling your 'package' at over $150 of your closest competitor is one thing, but launching it at that higher price without the HD your competitor is, is definately an even more unlikely IMO.

Given that they seem to be wanting to stick with one unit and that that unit will be with a HD included, I'm going to predict no more than $449 in America - although in my humble opinion/speculation, it will be sold at $399 in America. Note that I expect Japan to have the slightly higher price, as will Europe. In America though, I believe it's going to be somewhere between $399 and $449. Why? For the factors I named above, that 60nm could be a viable process not that far off after the launch and that I'd expect Microsoft to be ready to drop the price by $50 for the christmas/holiday timeframe when everyone expects PS3 to be supply limited. Then we'd ultimately have a Xbox360 at $349 (premium) or a $249 (core) competing with PS3 at $399-$449 with the most notable advantage that it will have Blu-Ray over its competitor.

I think when looking at the price - we must not forget to factor in that the costs of your product is one thing - but ultimately, your product has be able to generate demand. Market perception is important and as such, so is its selling price. I think not selling the PS3 for too much is a crucial factor.

MasaC
15-Mar-2006, 10:41
Regarding if the HDD is standard or not, could it be possible that the PS3 will require one to operate but it will be sold separately? Resons for this could be that you will be able to choose size and preloaded content (such as Linux pre-installed) but Sony is not ready to announce it just yet and that's why info at present time is vague (other than it's required)?

Nesh
15-Mar-2006, 10:45
I reitirate: This is not good at all for Sony if true. Blu-Ray ON TOP of a HDD?

I guess RSX might be coming in pretty cheap with that super small G71 die. Still..

I dont believe it though, and if true Sony will change it at some future point. Maybe claim a "misunderstanding" (aka MS I suppose).

Tell us oh mighty Xbot360 the secrets of gaming we dont know.

Help us open our eyes and free us from the Evil Sony the Anti-Christ of console gaming.
The demon of lying

You know I ve read all your posts in this thread and you dont sound any different from the Sony ******s.

It seems that all these nice sounding announcements (true or not) are bothering you, probably even make you foam??

You should relax too

We may be extremely excited with the news but it doesnt necessarilly mean that we expect all these to happen at the end

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 10:51
That's a bit of a stretch..if games can assume the presence of a HDD they might well use it for caching/streaming etc. but not require that they be installed!

I'm still not buying the HDD-in-the-box story though. Inane is correct about pickiness post-360, and I've yet to see an absolutely clear direct quote from anyone at SCE saying "The HDD will ship with every PS3, no split market".

On a different note, Phil Harrison's GDC keynote should actually be interesting now :D

OK, here's the translation of the original Ken Kutaragi quote from One's link (http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060315/232551/):

"Concerning the PS3 the mounting of the HDD is becoming a prerequisite (a requirement). Concerning Games and Software I/we would like to make the installation on the HDD a prerequisite (a requirement)"

So they're at least encouraging HDD installation, maybe because of the load times?

EDIT: Disclaimer: My Japanese is not that good, so sorry for the somewhat strange translation. But I hope everyone gets the idea.
EDIT2: typos

gokickrocks
15-Mar-2006, 10:54
dont think this has been asked or mentioned, but were there any details on the controller? last i heard, sony lost their suit for the dual shock technology

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:01
I think the final design will be an E3 thing.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:02
First comment: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2493&Itemid=2

Nesh
15-Mar-2006, 11:04
dont think this has been asked or mentioned, but were there any details on the controller? last i heard, sony lost their suit for the dual shock technology
hehe indeed.Thats one important question everyone forgot

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:07
GI says 2M at launch. Sounds reasonable.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15355

London-boy
15-Mar-2006, 11:15
Soooo... was this the February event or the March event? :razz:

Nesh
15-Mar-2006, 11:16
Is the conference still going btw?

Are there more info to be announced?

Bad_Boy
15-Mar-2006, 11:21

nope all done. looking forward to gdc, and e3 in the coming weeks/months. :)

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:21
Don't think so. It was supposed to take 1 hour AFAIK.

one
15-Mar-2006, 11:25

No it's over.

In a nutshell,

+ Full PS2/PS1 BC, with hi-res improvement
+ All PS3 have 60GB HDD with Linux

So it's meant for publishers and investors (and hardcore people). Games and other fun will be disclosed on better occasions.

Shifty Geezer
15-Mar-2006, 11:27
I'd like to know how that high-res PS2 gaming works. There's some old games that could do with looking better.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 11:29
I'd like to know how that high-res PS2 gaming works. There's some old games that could do with looking better.

I'd expect nothing more than simple upscaling, without further detail from Sony.

But I think online distribution of PSone, and probably PS2 games are now indeed a lock, given the PSP PSone service. Which should be all kinds of awesome.

Nesh
15-Mar-2006, 11:29
No it's over.

In a nutshell,

So it's meant for publishers and investors (and hardcore people). Games and other fun will be disclosed on better occasions.
Generally brilliant news.

All is left now then are the games.The important ingredient.I hope they dont fall short of expectations when they finally show us :D

Cant wait.And I hope its worth the wait.I dont want to see any "Untold Legends" SHIT again. :evil:

Sony owes us the quality they promised at E3 and I DEMAND IT

msia2k75
15-Mar-2006, 11:35
No indication of the price, one?

j^aws
15-Mar-2006, 11:35
No it's over.

In a nutshell,

Thanks for the summary. I'm still getting conflicting messages for the standard HDD from the way it's worded in some links. So it's definitely confirmed as standard in all shipping PS3's?

one
15-Mar-2006, 11:40
No indication of the price, one?AFAIK no. The news about the price is big, if they indicated something about it, isn't it strange that no media are evaluating that statement by now? Especially analysts and economists.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:41
Guys, since the final final devkits are out in June, do you think there will be some other hardware related surprises in store?

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 11:42
Here's the clearest report on the HDD issue:

The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

So, my interpretation would be:

Mandatory peripheral, games can rely on it, but it may be sold seperately.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 11:45
Linky? Please?

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 11:49
Here's the clearest report on the HDD issue:

So, my interpretation would be:

Mandatory peripheral, games can rely on it, but it may be sold seperately.

Actually what he is saying sounds like MS just the opposite but still that same. MS said that developers should develop games as if the HDD will not be there, meaning that the games should function without that HDD. What Ken is saying could be interpreted as "develop the games to take advantage of the HDD" but that does not mean that they should not work without one, a bit like MS wants things to work like...

msia2k75
15-Mar-2006, 11:51
AFAIK no. The news about the price is big, if they indicated something about it, isn't it strange that no media are evaluating that statement by now? Especially analysts and economists.

Yeah makes sense! Thx a lot for your sum up!

EDIT: Anyway there's no way they would announce the price so soon, would be kinda foolish.

TrungGap
15-Mar-2006, 11:55
Hmm, why am I not excited?

Isn't this expected?

Isn't this what they promised? So rehashing the same info

If it's a standard than it's good. It's odd when everyone was spectulating whether the 360 would include HDD as a standard, KK said no amount of local storage was big enough and that network Cell storage is the solution.

Lukewarm excitement here...But is basic service? Let's hope it's not a LIVE clone, which is what Sony was against in the first place.

+ 1-2 Million at launch and 1 Million/month after launch

This isn't drastically different from the 360, so nothing to get excited about.

Now, this is unexpected! It could mean the cost of BD-ROM is very comparative with DVD.

+ Delayed launch to November

So, basically they haven't told you anything new or showed any demo (if we are to believe BD is the real reason for the delay), but somehow got you all excited?

one
15-Mar-2006, 11:58
Thanks for the summary. I'm still getting conflicting messages for the standard HDD from the way it's worded in some links. So it's definitely confirmed as standard in all shipping PS3's?Oh, as the quote of Titanio suggests, there's still the possibility that it's not standard if the market situation changes, but I think SCE is already determined to have HDD as standard as it's listed as one of the key features...

(Besides, "Legacy SD to Full HD support" in the pic means all SDTV, PC monitor, and HDTV accroding to Famitsu)
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060315/114961/zu2.jpg

Sindre
15-Mar-2006, 12:00
Truly great, if they deliver. Especially for us Europeans:-D

I just thought of something, imagine if the ps3 did all these things but not games, at all. It would still be quite an impressive product;-p :

*It plays cd, sacd, dvd, bd
*It shows your digital photos
*It has a hdd (to put your multimedia on and play/show
*It is a location free station
*It can browse the internet, download and buy stuff and share with friends
*It can probably work as a videophone

But as they say, it's all about the games:-)

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 12:05
AFAIK no. The news about the price is big, if they indicated something about it, isn't it strange that no media are evaluating that statement by now? Especially analysts and economists.

We do have this, but it's strange they've only come up with it: http://www.gamersreports.com/news/1746/

As for price, Sony has said the unit will not cost less than 50,000.00 JP YEN. This equates to $425.607 USD.

And as expected:

On to the other info, there will be no PS2 price drop anytime soon. Ken Kutaragi said a PS2 price drop is not forthcoming as the company plans to continue selling it at its current price of $149 for some time.

one
15-Mar-2006, 12:09
Another slide says "HDD is required!"
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_07.jpg
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_05.jpg
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_06.jpg

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 12:10
Linky? Please?

Sorry, here you go:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145972.html

Actually what he is saying sounds like MS just the opposite but still that same. MS said that developers should develop games as if the HDD will not be there, meaning that the games should function without that HDD. What Ken is saying could be interpreted as "develop the games to take advantage of the HDD" but that does not mean that they should not work without one, a bit like MS wants things to work like...

This is pretty explicit:

"We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

They're saying to dev games as though the HDD is there, and explicitly not as though a HDD may or may not be there.

one
15-Mar-2006, 12:12
We do have this, but it's strange they've only come up with it: http://www.gamersreports.com/news/1746/Well I have no idea how they (gamersreports) came up with that thing while other media including Bloomberg, Nikkei and Reuters have nothing to talk about the price indication.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 12:12

Looks like it's in then.

StefanS
15-Mar-2006, 12:14
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_03.jpg

Seems like The Aussie get the shaft as with X360

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 12:17
Nope. Oz is confirmed.

"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas. This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=15361

Sindre
15-Mar-2006, 12:17
Seems like The Aussie get the shaft as with X360

But what about this then,

Comment from David Reeves, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe on the announcement of PLAYSTATION 3 launch

j^aws
15-Mar-2006, 12:18

Definitely suggests it's in. Maybe it's me, but they should've used the word "standard", instead of "required". Which may have a hidden meaning!

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 12:18
Sorry, here you go:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145972.html

This is pretty explicit:

"We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

They're saying to dev games as though the HDD is there, and explicitly not as though a HDD may or may not be there.

Cheers, but this has to be the strangest thing ever...

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 12:21
Definitely suggests it's in. Maybe it's me, but they should've used the word "standard", instead of "required". Which may have a hidden meaning!

Because it may not come in the box. It's required, but you buy seperately like a memory card (the required peripheral of this generation). Or not. They still haven't decided. Just think of it like a memory card that may or may not be bundled with the system. You'll need it either way, but hopefully it'll come in the box, otherwise, hopefully they'll have plentiful supply of the HDDs (that'd really be my only concern - that you could get one).

All those online developers who were pushing Sony to make the HDD standard are probably quite happy now.

pipo
15-Mar-2006, 12:26

Now, this is unexpected! It could mean the cost of BD-ROM is very comparative with DVD.

Confirmed to be a piracy related decision.

j^aws
15-Mar-2006, 12:32
Because it may not come in the box. It's required, but you buy seperately like a memory card (the required peripheral of this generation). Or not. They still haven't decided. Just think of it like a memory card that may or may not be bundled with the system. You'll need it either way, but hopefully it'll come in the box, otherwise, hopefully they'll have plentiful supply of the HDDs (that'd really be my only concern - that you could get one).

Yeah, there's a subtle difference. Standard suggests out of the box. Required suggests you need it for the bullet points on the slides but not necessarily out of the box. So things that are not listed as bullet points, one would assume the HDD is not "required".

MasaC
15-Mar-2006, 12:32

I'll repeat myself from earlier:

"Regarding if the HDD is standard or not, could it be possible that the PS3 will require one to operate but it will be sold separately? Resons for this could be that you will be able to choose size and preloaded content (such as Linux pre-installed) but Sony is not ready to announce it just yet and that's why info at present time is vague (other than it's required)?"

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 12:40
Yeah, there's a subtle difference. Standard suggests out of the box.

Not necessarily, it depends what perspective your coming from. From a publishers perspective on the platform, standard just means every system will have it, regardless of how they have it (bought seperately or came in the box).

I think MasaC is right, except for choice regarding preloaded content..sounds like Linux will be on all of them at least.

Phil
15-Mar-2006, 12:41
Maybe Sony worded it as 'required' instead of 'standard' because they want to enable (or haven't yet decided on) the consumer to have the choice what HD they use for the system? Perhaps they're thinking of selling their own HD with linux installed (perhaps linux will act as the locationFree server for PSP as some are suggesting) at a little premium, while the more cost concious consumer can - if he wishes - get a HD at his own expense from any manufacturer if he wishes to do so?

j^aws
15-Mar-2006, 12:49
Not necessarily, it depends what perspective your coming from. From a publishers perspective on the platform, standard just means every system will have it, regardless of how they have it (bought seperately or came in the box).

Standard = every system will have it.

Required = required for the bullet points on the slides. Doesn't mean every system will have it or need it.

That's how I'm reading it.

Nesh
15-Mar-2006, 12:52
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_07.jpg

Hmmm the way I see it is that the HDD is very very important to get full PS3 experience but probably it will be sold separately.

They probably directed to the importance of it making clear that the consumer will feel that the HDD is required at some point just as the memory card was required.

When they told devs to develop games with HDD in mind probably they ment that extra major features and goodies will be only accessed if you have the HDD installed and it will be needed.(Enhance Gameplay on slide)

edit: Btw Have you noticed?it seems like Sony is trying to get a hit on MS.They seem to be trying to promote Linux a lot and establish it as broadly as possible
The war between MS and Sony involves more than just console wars.Makes us think again why MS tried to enter the console market.Its a battle of the OSs too ;)

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 12:53
I just have difficulty understanding, how that something that is absolutely required for your equipment to work would not be standard in the box. The memory stick do not really count, as you can actually play your game but not save them, so your damn thing does actually work. I mean if bying an xbox with or without HDD is confusing, imagine how confusing it can become for the average consumer to understand, that beyond of bying the console, they must buy a peripheral to make it actually work...

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 12:56
Hmmm the way I see it is that the HDD is very very important to get full PS3 experience but probably it will be sold separately.

They probably directed to the importance of it making clear that the consumer will feel that the HDD is required at some point just as the memory card was required.

When they told devs to develop games with HDD in mind probably they ment that extra major features and goodies will be only accessed if you have the HDD installed and it will be needed.(Enhance Gameplay on slide)

I agree, if one like to split hairs, on the slide it says, "enhanched gameplay" not plain gameplay...

j^aws
15-Mar-2006, 12:57
"Regarding if the HDD is standard or not, could it be possible that the PS3 will require one to operate but it will be sold separately? Resons for this could be that you will be able to choose size and preloaded content (such as Linux pre-installed) but Sony is not ready to announce it just yet and that's why info at present time is vague (other than it's required)?"

I think we're saying the same thing right?

Required = required for the bullet points on the slides. Doesn't mean every system will have it or need it.

Shifty Geezer
15-Mar-2006, 13:01
Hmm, why am I not excited?
Isn't this what they promised? So rehashing the same infoThey made no promises of improving the originals, on that they'd play. Imnprovements are very welcome.

If it's a standard than it's good. It's odd when everyone was spectulating whether the 360 would include HDD as a standard, KK said no amount of local storage was big enough and that network Cell storage is the solution.
People are allowed to change their mind, you know! ;)
I figure Ken was thinking of the HDD storing all your movies and stuff, which of course no HDD would be big enough to do. I guess he's reevaluated the role of the HDD and seen it offers much more versatility to the system, the highly profitable revenue stream for downloadable software and content, and potentially much better games if it's used to good effect. Hence a change of heart.

+ 1-2 Million at launch and 1 Million/month after launch
This isn't drastically different from the 360, so nothing to get excited about.If the XB360 was managing 1 million units a month, there'd be something like 4-5 million out there! A million a month is a very high production rate for new hardware. Okay, this isn't new hardware - it'll be like a year old by the time it's released :p. Previous Sony consoles have had a very slow start.

So, basically they haven't told you anything newApart from the HDD, the production rate, the confirmed improvements to BC games, the global release, and the release date, plus all the PSP stuff, no, they haven't told us anything new. And what have the Romans done for us anyway?

or showed any demo (if we are to believe BD is the real reason for the delay)It's a boardroom meeting for suits, not a product launch or gamer convention.

but somehow got you all excited?Sad isn't it. Some people are just too easily excited. :D

Phil
15-Mar-2006, 13:05
I think the problem is we have one slide that is talking about the advantages that the HD (presumably from Sony) offers and other sniplets that talk that developers should develop with a HD being there.

While with the former, I agree with Jaws, the latter definately hints that the HD will be sold with or serperate but will be required to use the PS3. If this conference was really targeted at 3rd parties, I can definately take this as definite that in one way or the other, a HD is apart of PS3's experience (and not just as an optional add-on).

Platon
15-Mar-2006, 13:06
I'll repeat myself from earlier:

Yeah, but on the other hand imagine the confusiong it could cause and all the possible configuration you would need. Sony said that the xbox360 +/- the HDD was confusing, imagine now if the customers will have instead to decide, size of HDD, content on it etc, and will that not be a nightmare for retailers, how many different HDD will they have to have in stock...

FLUXCapacitor
15-Mar-2006, 13:14
If PS3 does end up having a 60GB HDD as standard, I seriously think MS should just bite the bullet and either get rid of the core, or throw in the 20GB HDD with the core pack, and add a 60-100GB HDD with the premium at no price increase, before the installed base of the current core package gets to big. That could be asking to much though.

But with this news of HDD possibly being standard in the PS3, and at generous 60GB, I wouldn't count out the rumor of the 360 to include a 100GB HDD in the next month or two just yet.

pc999
15-Mar-2006, 13:15
Ten pages already...anyway

HDD as standard
Free basic services for online (live like?)
WW launch

It seems they are doing a very good job.

Now bring me the other things I want and a low price too.

PeterT
15-Mar-2006, 13:19
And what have the Romans done for us anyway?Public baths!

But seriously, the best news out of all of this to me is the included Linux OS. If, of course, that actually means they'll let me run my own apps. Which I still find very hard to believe from a DRM POV. Perhaps in a sandbox... nah.

liolio
15-Mar-2006, 13:21
Okay, a worldwide launch can fit in with the Spring launch I argue. For all those saying 'they already said Spring and missed it, I won't beleive a word they say', all plans are subject to change. The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglay.

Before you can say 'they missed Spring so we won't Novemeber' you need to know why they missed Spring. If it's a BRD thing, they've been ale to make everything they need except that part. That means between now and launch they can stockpile huge numbers of PS3 as they wait for whatever they are waiting for. Also the Spring launch could have been Japan only, as we all assumed, with US getting later this year, so the shift to a worldwide launch is more a postponement of Japan. Worldwide becomes a new strategy to strengthen the launch folowing an unexpected delay.

The concern with the worldwide launch is that it sounds like 1 million consoles per month after launch, with 1 million at launch. That's spreading things even more thinly than XB360 . And also makes you wonder what the factories are doing at the moment. Twiddling their thumbs?

Sony have managed to save face somewhat by turning the unwanted delayed launch into a big launch to compensate. Good marketting and business sense. They haven't yet shown the games or examples of the interfaces or Linux etc., but these things wouldn't be expected at a dull old business meeting. The suits get their kicks from Powerpoint presentations, not awesomely rendered FPSes!

In summary, heady goals. Things could go wrong, might well do, but the plans announced are at least what is being aimed at. Some people need to be able to make the distinction between a lie and an unexpected set of circumstances that require a change of plan.

Nope it seems to be more than just a BR thing, final dev kit will be out in june.
Sony is likely to not reach his 6 Millions goal to march 2007, the question is by how much.
(nothing go perfect Sony or others brands).
Anyway i'm happy, i've an a renew interest in console gaming, and the quicker the ps3 out the quicker i'll made a choice between the systems available.

Titanio
15-Mar-2006, 13:21

That's how I'm reading it.

Kutaragi's comments make it explicitly clear. Every player has to have one, whether they get it seperately or in the box.

I just have difficulty understanding, how that something that is absolutely required for your equipment to work would not be standard in the box. The memory stick do not really count, as you can actually play your game but not save them, so your damn thing does actually work.

And I'm sure PS3 would work in quite a limited fashion also, not necessarily in exactly the same way, but some functionality would be there. Ultimately every game developer can count on PS2 gamers having a memory card, or at least that's what they assume, and it would appear that'll be the same situation with the HDD in PS3.

For all we know it may well come standard in every box, but they may not put it in there simply so they can say the system costs x Dollars. Same reason they don't put memory cards in the box - they know you have to buy it, but they quote the box seperately so the figure can sound nice and lower.

Anyway, more online details here:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696075p1.html

Sony made note of some of the major features that all Online titles will be able to access:

Communication/Community:
Voice/Video chat
Messaging
Lobby/Matchmaking
Score/Ranking
Friend list/Avatar
Game data upload/download

Commerce:
Shop (accessible from inside games)
Content Download
Micro Payment
Subscription
Entitlement (user access rights) management

Account:
User Registration
Login ID/Handling of name issues

Sony Computer Entertainment will take care of investment and operation of a commonly used infrastructure. However, SCE will be allowing licensees to connect their own game servers to the network. SCE's network, with data centers throughout the world, is being developed in conjunction with Sony Online Entertainment.

Not precisely clear what will or won't be part of the "commonly used infrastructure" and what will be per game. That'll be interesting to watch..maybe Phil Harrison will elaborate. But at the very least, there is something there to bind things.

onanie
15-Mar-2006, 13:22
Regarding if the HDD is standard or not, could it be possible that the PS3 will require one to operate but it will be sold separately? Resons for this could be that you will be able to choose size and preloaded content (such as Linux pre-installed) but Sony is not ready to announce it just yet and that's why info at present time is vague (other than it's required)?

I think giving the customers choice (in HDD size) on a compulsory add-on is an interesting idea. The HDD is fully utilised as it is assumed to be present on all consoles, while the customers choose the size (and price) that suits them.

schmuck
15-Mar-2006, 13:24
Is ps3 going to be region free(or optional for developers)?

If so it would be cool if they included ps1/2.