Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2024] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Map size is definitely not linked to RAM anymore these days.

Only reason I could think RAM would impact map boundary sizes is if there were numerous areas with absolutely gargantuan sightlines, like from end to end, and devs had very high standards for the quality+quantity of the distant rendering. Cuz yea, that'll add up if you insist on using super high draw distances and not cutting out a bunch of detail. But that'd also be silly and stubborn when you could just optimize a bit more here for Series S. I get that it's potentially a little annoying to have to do extra work for Series S at all, but you're not gonna limit your entire game's full ambition over this, either.

These aren't some incompetent technical developers, either. Warhorse were pushing some pretty impressive stuff for KCD at the time, and would know better than to trot out this nonsense with any seriousness.

Sadly just gonna be great fodder for platform warriors.

RAM amount is not a limitation on play size. We've had hundreds of lightyears in 1MB RAM, possibly less*. The limitation is information density. eg. A garden of some few square metres can fill up your 16 GBs if detailed to the level for Grounded.

I bring no more to the discussion on KC: Deliverance's claims about XBSX limitations.

RAM amount is not a limitation on play size. We've had hundreds of lightyears in 1MB RAM, possibly less*. The limitation is information density. eg. A garden of some few square metres can fill up your 16 GBs if detailed to the level for Grounded.

I bring no more to the discussion on KC: Deliverance's claims about XBSX limitations.
Yeah. Saying "RAM = 25% larger so we could only make the game = 25% larger" is a pretty stupid statement. I'm almost certain something is being lost in translation here.

I'm sure there is some translation issue or maybe the journalist is paraphrasing what the developer is actually saying. At the end of the day it's going to be like, only 25% more models per scene or something.

I don't think even in the translation it said 25% larger map size. Everyone just seems to have assumed bigger is a reference to map size, when it could just as easily refer to the general increase in scope. Which I don't think is neccesarily bad general guidance for the technical side to give to the design side due to the possibly hardware limitations it has to fit in.

Here is another article with respect to Kingdom Come II's map size -

With Kingdom Come II being twice the size of the original game, can you talk a bit about how the sequel will fill in that extra space? How will Warhorse Studios handle traversal time and other challenges in a game as granular as this one?

Tobias Stolz-Zwilling, Warhorse Studios spokesperson:
Theoretically, being twice the size could mean anything—map size, number of quests, new features… and I believe that the answer includes bit of everything. Yes, we have two maps now, each approximately the size of the first game. Yes, we will, of course, have more quests, cutscenes, random encounters and the like. And yes, while we revamped some of the known features from KCD I, we have also added a few cool new things that people were missing, like crossbows and the blacksmithing minigame. If you know how we handle our features, then you can be sure everything we added is based on our desire to create deep and engaging mechanics.

Went to the horse's mouth. Google translate, but it's very clean and the line in clear context:

Perhaps the most interesting were the statements regarding the technical side. Klíma, like many other developers, mentioned the limitation of the Xbox Series S and its 10GB of memory. So Warhorse's goal was to make the game 25% bigger, since XSS has 25% more memory than PS4/XONE.

That's it! Was just an intention setting out, along with other stats like how many bugs are in the game, and twice the dialogue lines. Nothing at all on actual limits.

It's a non story. Nothing technical about it, a website took a line and turned it into a story framed on console-war bullshit to get clicks. We should move on.

Last edited:
Back